Windows 7 compatibility

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Hi,

We have been using this tool with Windows XP for more than a year without any issues - the tool has really helped us save valuable time. There is currently a transition happening to Windows 7 here and hence we are testing the compatibility of this software as well with Windows 7. When I tried to install this in a test Windows 7 box, the installation fails and I am getting the following messages at the end of the install log file:
_"Installing using command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\AHDEVT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDAFD3.tmp\SMO\sharedmanagementobjects.msi" -q '
Will attempt to elevate process.
Process exited with code 0
Status of package 'SharedManagementObjects' after install is 'InstallFailed'"
_
At first glance, this looks like a permissions issue but I did run the setup file as administrator, so I am not sure why this failure occurs. Could you confirm if this tool is actually compatible with Windows 7 please?

Regards,
John
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Hi John,

The application works fine for me in Windows 7, I tested again this morning in a machine that I never used for running SQL Server Runner. I did not had any trouble installing it and the application works fine. My Windows installation is Windows 7 Professional 64bit with SP1. I am not sure what it could be the problem you are facing as I cannot reproduce the issue that you are indicating.

One aspect to note, I have several SQL Server Management tools installed in this machine: 2005, 2008 and 2012 ... I dont think having those installed in the machine make any difference but I would check later on a clean machine to confirm it.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if I can help on anything.

Best regards,
Enrique
Jun 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Hi Enrique,

Thanks for confirming this.

I would like to make sure I am doing the install the right way then... After extracting the files from the rar file available for download from your website, I get both an exe and an msi file. The msi file does not work even if run as administrator via command prompt (using msiexec), it just gives me some error like 'Invalid Drive U:' – so I had used the exe file to install and that is when I got the error I had mentioned.

Also just wanted to confirm if the install is same for both x86 and x64 machines. We are running on Win 7 64 bit as well.

Regards,
John
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Edited Jun 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Hi John,

I hope that I know what it is going on; the msi works fine for me, just make sure that when you extract the file you also extract the SMO subfolder that contains two other msi files: sharedmanagementobjects and sqlsysclrtypes. I guess that is the reason why the installation is failing, I miss this detail from the exception that you provided.

I just installed it in a Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit machine with SP1 and I had not problem whatsoever. I still need to try to install in a W7 machine without Visual Studio.

Hope it works. Let me know
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Hi Enrique,

I did already have the SMO subfolder extracted as well when my install had failed previously - I mentioned the exe and msi files specifically since I was not sure which one to use to start the install - sorry to have misled you there!

If I try to install the msi file via command prompt (run as administrator) command 'mstsc /i SQLRunnerSetup.msi', the install fails with the error 'Invalid Drive U:'.

Regards,
John
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi John,

I am not sure why the msi are reporting those exceptions. I cannot replicate your problem so far. One suggestion, if you have any staff with Visual Studio skills, I would get the source code and compile the application. If the prerequisites are already installed on the machine (for example, SQL Server 2008 Management tools) you should not need to run the msi files to get it working.